Friday, August 27, 2010

Blog Assignment 1

Hello out there! As I begin composing my class blog I find myself wondering how to begin. Let's start with my current circumstances. I live in Point Clear, Alabama with my husband Reid, a daughter Maddie, two sons, Fisher and Reid, a dog, a cat, a bunny, and this strange little African frog that lives in a small fish bowl on my desk. I spend most days just dealing with my children. When I have free time, I like to run, and I play on a tennis team once or twice a week. I am training with a friend to run my first half-marathon in the spring.

Before I had three children, I was a high school biology teacher in Mobile. However, unlike most of you in this class, I was not an education major in college and had no intentions of ever being a teacher. But as the saying goes, "never say never." My college education began at Springhill, moved to USA, and culminated with a graduate degree from UAB in public health. I moved back to Mobile to get married and then worked for USA in the College of Medicine doing clinical research. During that period, the opportunity to participate in a grant program targeting math and science professionals arose, and I took advantage of it. I was able to take online classes while teaching and recieve my teaching certificate, all courtesy of the Drexel Grant. My main impetus for pursuing teaching was, oddly enough, a fairly significant salary increase, and better hours -- or so i thought. I was definitely wrong on the later. I taught various science courses for four years, until the birth of my 2nd child. I've been a stay-at-home mom since 2007.

You may ask, why am I here now? Well, my lovely certificate will expire in 2011. So, in order to fulfill the state's requirements to renew my certificate, I must take an approved education course and earn 5 CEU's. This class will help me renew my teaching certificate and hopefully bring me up to speed with the technological world and its application in education. Even if I don't have a chance to get back in the school system, I will always be responsible for teaching my own children.

3 comments:

  1. It’s very interesting how you started in the health field and found yourself teaching biology. I totally understand how much of a workload kids are, I have a 1 year old son and it’s extremely hard working, raising a family, and going to school. On the other hand, I am determined to finish and anything is possible if you’re determined and motivated to achieve it. It’s awesome that you chose this course as one of your courses to get your credits; you will definitely walk away with knowledge that could be used in your future classrooms or at home with your kids. Well I enjoyed reading your post, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you on your dedication to keep going after being a stay at home mom for that then coming back to get another certificate. you gotta admit sum of this stuff can difficult to maintain sometimes i wish you all the luck that you make it through successfully and I hope you do the same for me to.

    ReplyDelete