Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post #9



What I've Learned This Year- Mr. McClung

While I was reading Mr. McClung's short essay on what he learned in his first year of teaching, I was really able to identify with what he said.  I have thankfully experienced my first year as a teacher and the lessons he describes are exactly right for those of you that are not quite there yet.  I must admit, however, his first year seemed to go a little smoother than mine.  I can assume this because he referred to it as a "magical" experience.  He must be a really, really good teacher!  All kidding aside, the first year can be rough, but you make it through and the next year is so much better.

To recap, Mr. McClung elaborates on about 7 lessons that any new teacher should be aware of and learn throughout their year:  be able to read a crowd, be flexible, communicate, be reasonable, don't be afraid of technology, listen to your students, and never stop learning.  In other words, don't forget about the students during your lesson, don't freak out if your lesson plan completely goes out the window, talk to fellow teachers and administrators, set standards high enough they have to stretch but that aren't out of reach, use the technology you have available, and don't be afraid to change your ways.  Mr. McClung  summarizes for us what all young teachers will need to understand in order to have a fulfilling classroom experience.  But, don't get discouraged if your experience doesn't seem so enlightening.  I promise it will get better!

2 comments:

  1. Kristin, great post! I find it interesting that you have already been teaching for 1 year. I definitely look forward to my 1st year teaching. The 7 lessons McClung discussed were interesting as well. Perhaps my favorite thing was the part on communication. Without good communication, we will get nowhere. What was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. McClung's first year was spent under the tutelage of Mr. Chamberlain, one of the finest teachers I know. He was very lucky.

    We learn most by doing it. And reflecting on what we are experiencing is an absolute necessity. Kristen knows this already. My comments, in this instance, are left for the other commentators.

    ReplyDelete